RSS

Monday, April 28, 2008

Sour Cream Pound Cake




I fell in love with this cake years ago when my aunt used to make it. I got the recipe from her one day and I almost fell out. It had a bunch of sugar and a pound of butter. Even though I don't make it that often, I still wanted to make it a little healthier. After experimenting, I came up with a recipe that works great. You can substitute the vanilla extract for any flavor to give the cake a different taste. If you don't have or forget the sour cream, you can use a cup of buttermilk. I make my own buttermilk by adding 1-2 T of lemon juice or white vinegar to a cup of whole or 2 % milk. The one in the pic above is lemon flavored with lemon frosting. Enjoy. Q

3/4 pound (3 sticks of butter)
2 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups all-purpose flour
6 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the sour cream and mix until incorporated. Sift the baking soda and flour together. Add to the creamed mixture alternating with eggs, beating each egg 1 at a time. Add the vanilla and pour the mixture into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan. Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes.

Someone asked me for the recipe for the lemon icing I used on the Sour Cream Pound Cake . It is real simple and I sometimes add food coloring to make it bright yellow.
2 cups of confectioner's sugar
4-6 T of lemon juice (amount depends on consistency)
Whisk until smooth.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

how do you make the icing?

*Tanyetta* said...

Pouring myself a tall glass of lactaid milk.

YUMMMMMMM

Hijabi Apprentice said...

I think the girls and I will make this this weekend!

jazzy894 said...

Just made this cake for my family - quick & delish!! Many thanks Que!

Queeny20 said...

Cool. I'm glad it worked out for you Jazzy!! Q