RSS

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Lemon Cream Squares


I got this recipe from the food network and decided to make it for dessert tonight. The recipe calls for a box cake and those of you who know me, know I don't do box cakes. I used my basic cake recipe instead. I will post both in case you prefer to use the box.

For Lemon Layer:
1 (18.25 oz) box lemon cake mix
1 stick of butter, softened
1 egg
In a large mixing bowl, beat on lo speed mix, butter, and egg until combined and smooth. Press evenly into prepared pan.

This is what I used instead:
1 stick of butter, softened
1 cup of sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups of sifted self-rising flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon of lemon extract
Cream butter until fluffy. Add sugar and cream well for 6-8 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and milk alternately to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Add lemon extract and continue to beat until just mixed. Pour into 9 by 13-inch foil pan that has been sprayed with Baker's Joy. I picked up the pan and let it drop on the counter a couple of times to even it out and get out any air pockets.

For Top Layer:
16 oz of cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 (3- ounce) box lemon gelatin
2 eggs
In a medium mixing bowl, beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add eggs and beat until smooth.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread cream cheese mix over cake layer. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until cake barely starts to pull away from sides. Cool completely before cutting into squares.

As you can see, some of the cake layer came up and around the cream cheese layer. It was crispy on top and moist on the inside. Don't worry I am limiting myself to only one piece because I am focused on eating right. I just wanted to treat my family to something different. Enjoy!!! Q

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl...these sounds delish! Just wanted to say hello and hope all is well! Have a great weekend!