RSS

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Healthy hair tips

I pretty much have the hair thing down as you can see. I rarely have issues with my hair and it grows pretty quickly. It is also super thick and healthy. Here is some info I feel are essential to having beautiful, long, thick and healthy natural hair.

First I think you need to invest in quality tools. I only use bone combs, a natural boar bristle brush, denman brush, satin scarves/bonnets or pillowcases, vitamin c shower filter, micro fiber hair towels, and a pair of good hair cutting scissors. These items are a little pricey but it is worth it.

Next you need to find what works for your hair. I have tried everything but my staple lines are Envia, Sauve and Pantene. I also have organic coconut oil and castor oil. Don't be afraid to try stuff you think may not work. Buy sample or travel sizes and see how your hair responds.

Once you have a regimen down, you need to baby your hair. I take my time detangling with my bone comb and then follow with a denman to get rid of the shed hair. I wash my hair in 4 sections and apply coconut oil or castor oil to my ends. My regimen changes slightly with the weather.

Right now I am washing or co-washing, every other day. Once a month I use a clarifying shampoo and do a deep condition. If I see any serious split ends, I trim them with my scissors. When I do press my hair, I use my maxi-glide and I never get it super straight. I leave that up to my beautician and I get that done every six months along with a trim.

Pay attention to your hair and treat it accordingly. When my hair is dry, I step up the moisture by either co washing more often or spraying on a mix of distilled water and fermodyl 619 daily. If my ends are brittle, I may sure to seal them with an oil. I also massage my scalp with a little bit of castor oil or coconut oil.

If you are dealing with 2 textures and transitioning, you need to take extra care especially when combing. Detangle while wet with a lot of conditioner. Gradually trim off the relaxed ends. Play around with hairstyles like braid outs or put your hair in neat buns. Use some oil, a brush, and a scarf to smooth down the edges.

Lastly, baby your hair from the inside out. Drink lots of water. Take quality vitamins and minerals. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. You can also take MSM, biotin, flaxseed oil, or a vitamin for hair.

I hope this helps someone and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Happy Hair Growing!!!! Q

4 comments:

Nadege said...

Thansk for the reminder Q, its time for me to replace my vitamin c shower filter.

JOYTOTHEWORLD said...

Hi Queeny,
Did you purchase your bone combs online? Also can you explain to me what in the world is a Vitamin C filter?
Sabjoy2@aol.com

Thanks a bunch!

Queeny20 said...

Hi joy. You can get your bone combs from hairsense.com tenderheaded.com, or the ebay store Salon Accessories.

A vitamin C filter uses Vitamin C to filter the water and is healthier for your hair. You can get it here, http://www.ronin-online.com/ HTH Q

Anonymous said...

I bought MSM Powder. Is it better to spray in hair w/ moisturizer or put it in a drink? I've been using hair vitamins from vitamin world and flaxseed oil from trader joes. Although, for the past three months i stopped using the flaxseed because 1 tbsp of that turns my stomach. There was alot of growth when i took my kinky twists out. I am APL