RSS

Thursday, September 11, 2008

(Last year's post) September 11, 2001


I remember that day like it was yesterday. The emotions, the memories, the pictures are etched in my mind, my heart, and my spirit. Thomas was on leave as we were preparing to head to our new station in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I decided to continue working at my government job until about a week before our departure. My job allowed us to work a flex schedule and I had taken advantage by going in later than usual. I was excited because they were going to throwing me a going away party during lunch at a local restaurant. I was cute and ready to go.

We were stationed at Robins AFB in Warner Robins, Georgia. As I drove into work listening to the radio, it suddenly went quiet. The dj cut in and stated a plane had just struck a tower at the World Trade Center. My heart sank. About a minute later I arrived at the gate, showed my id card and proceeded to my office going a little over the speed limit. I ran inside and told everyone what I had heard. We all had televisions in our office so everyone stopped what they were doing. My supervisor Rex, my co-worker Lori, and I stood there watching the news. Suddenly we noticed another plane flying nearby and then "Boom" it crashes into the other tower. I lost my footing for a minute and I could hear screams throughout the building. The next few minutes were a blur but I remember hearing the reports about the other two planes.

My commander called us all in for a meeting and we discussed what was going on. I already knew life as I had known would never be the same. I could barely work that day thinking about My City, the city that raised me, the people I loved, and my family and friends that I knew worked in and around that area.

I felt guilt because I never appreciated that I grew up living so close to the towers. I even attended a highschool that was down the street and we would often visit the shopping area that was on the bottom floor during our early dismissal days. September 11, 2001 my prayers go out to each and every person affected by the events of that day. Let us never forget how precious life is. Let us never forget those who lost their lives and those who gave their lives for others. Let us never forget our soldiers who fight and put themselves in harms way to prevent something like that from happening. Let us never forget that although we are free, someone died in order for us to live. Q

No comments: