RSS

Thursday, April 16, 2009

21 Days to a closer walk with Thee (Day 18)

Hello everyone. Here are our scriptures for today:
3Judas then, having received a band of men and officers from the chief priests and Pharisees, cometh thither with lanterns and torches and weapons.
4Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye?
5They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them.
6As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.
One of the Bishops always jokes about someone getting a little taste of "I am He." He is referring to this scripture right here. Remember how Jesus keep speaking of being glorified? Then go with me to Exodus 33:19And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.
20And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
God was speaking to Moses because Moses wanted to see God. But God's glory is so great that Moses' flesh would not be able to withstand it and it would have killed Him.
The guards got a little taste of God's glory when Jesus said, "I am He." That was God the father coming through because remember God told Moses when they ask who sent you, say I am sent me. God's word doesn't return to Him void. Just think, they only got a little taste and it knocked them down. That's how powerful our God is!!!

17Then saith the damsel that kept the door unto Peter, Art not thou also one of this man's disciples? He saith, I am not.

19The high priest then asked Jesus of his disciples, and of his doctrine.
20Jesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing.
21Why askest thou me? ask them which heard me, what I have said unto them: behold, they know what I said.
22And when he had thus spoken, one of the officers which stood by struck Jesus with the palm of his hand, saying, Answerest thou the high priest so?
23Jesus answered him, If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if well, why smitest thou me?
This was the same priest in John 11:49-51 that spoke of one man die for the people than the whole nation perishing. Jesus felt no need to repeat what He has said. They all have heard it as well. But yet they struck Him. He was an innocent man not deserving of this treatment.

25And Simon Peter stood and warmed himself. They said therefore unto him, Art not thou also one of his disciples? He denied it, and said, I am not.
26One of the servants of the high priest, being his kinsman whose ear Peter cut off, saith, Did not I see thee in the garden with him?
27Peter then denied again: and immediately the cock crew

I can't imagine how Peter felt at the moment he heard the cock crow. At that moment, I am sure he remembered what Jesus had said about him. I know he loved Jesus but he was scared. He had just seen his Lord taken and was afraid he was next. Peter is not alone because we too have denied the Lord in our lives. We deny Him when we sin, when we don't trust Him, and when we have fear of the things of this world. We must not be like Peter and fear being killed for testifying of our Lord. But we must be willing to lay down our earthly lives if need be. Philippians 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

36Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
37Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
38Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all.
39But ye have a custom, that I should release unto you one at the passover: will ye therefore that I release unto you the King of the Jews?
40Then cried they all again, saying, Not this man, but Barabbas. Now Barabbas was a robber.
At any moment, Jesus could have waved His hand and a host of angels would have shown up and slayed each and every one of the guards that held Him. But He had a job to do. He was sent so we could live. He had a kingdom and a home and it was time for Him to go back and prepare it for us. Pilate himself, testified to the truth of Christ by saying he finds not fault in Him at all. He said what we all know to be true. But yet Jesus still died. They saved Barabbas a robber and a murderer. Some of the people who cried out were the same ones who were praising Him in Chapter 12.
Tonight in your journals, write down how it makes you feel knowing our Savior was innocent and died for us who aren't. But I don't want you to focus on the sadness but instead think about how much love He has for us. Let that be on your mind as you pray tonight, and just thank Him for loving us even when we like Peter denied Him. Be happy knowing you have a truly loving God that not only says it, but shows is and embodies it. Because God is love!!



May God bless the readers of His word. Q

No comments: