Thursday, May 06, 2010
Chicken and Mushrooms in Garlic Broth (was white wine) Sauce I got this recipe from Cooking Light's website and can be found here.
I made some changes but here is the original recipe:
* 4 ounces uncooked medium egg noodles
* 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
* 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
* 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
* 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
* 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
* 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
* 1/2 cup dry white wine (I toke out the wine and used more broth)
* 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and keep warm.
Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Place chicken breast halves in a shallow dish. Combine 1 tablespoon flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, stirring well with a whisk. Sprinkle flour mixture over chicken; toss to coat.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until browned. Remove chicken from pan. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Add garlic, tarragon, and mushrooms to pan; sauté for 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates and mushrooms darken. Add white wine (broth) to pan; cook 1 minute. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining broth, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cook 1 minute or until slightly thick, stirring frequently.
Return chicken to the pan. Cover and simmer 2 minutes. Uncover; cook 1 minute or until chicken is done. Stir in noodles; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Place about 1 1/2 cups chicken mixture on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese.
I doubled this recipe. I used about 12 oz of a whole grain noodle, 3 pounds of chicken, all chicken broth instead of which wine, I sliced my own mushrooms, and used a reduced fat Parmesan cheese. This was a hit!!! Q