RSS

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Time to unpack in order to repack!!!

I had a completely different title for this post but my Pastor said this during bible study this week and I decided to use it. We have been studying the word regarding fasting for the past 2 weeks. I am about to embark on one myself. On Tuesday we were discussing the reasons why some people don't fast. He gave the analogy of packing for a trip. He bascially said, some of us live our lives like we do when we pack for a trip. We pack all of these things in our suitcase and then when we stop and think for a moment, we realize we left out some important things. So it is then that we have to unpack in order to take out some stuff and then repack and put in only those things that are necessary.

I've been dealing with this situation in my life as well. With school, work, church, T and the Supremes, I am feeling overwhelmed. I kept thinking I needed more time when really I just need to get rid of some things. It is hard but I know I can't keep going like this. Some of you may think this doesn't apply to you but it can.

So many of us are feeling the financial crunch right now and we're struggling. Instead of trying to get another job or a way to bring in more money, maybe you need to take a look at what you currently have going out and unpack some items. Do you have to have the cable plan with the 500 channels or will basic suffice? Do you need to see every movie as soon as it comes out or can you just wait and rent it? Do you have to eat out during lunch or can you just bag it? There are so many things we can do to make the money that we already have go farther.

Or maybe you need to unpack in your personal life or personal time. Have you stretched yourself way too thin trying to do everything for everybody? Are there some people in your life that have been dragging you down and you need to cut loose? Are you taking the time to care for your body like you should? Do you have to watch all 50 versions or CSI? Or can you pick one and then the other nights, go to bed early and get some rest? Okay that last one was for me but you get my drift.

Take a good hard look at your life and begin to unpack some things. Before you put stuff back in, focus on those things you need first, and then carefully choose what will follow. My plan of action is very simple, God first, family and friends, personal time, physical health, school, and everything else. Be blessed. Q

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this was a great post, q!

when are you going to fast?