RSS

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Baked potato soup

I'm back to post some more recipes I've tried and tweaked. This one is a family favorite. I first had this soup at a restaurant and made it my mission to make it at home. After searching over the net, I was saddened to realize how fattening it is. So I made some adjustments to make it a little healthier. I mean it will still set you back in calories but it is good for those times you want some good, bad and hardy. I love to eat this with crackers.

5 large baking potatoes

2 T of smart balance spread
1/4 cup all purpose flour
4 cups of reduced fat milk
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp of pepper
1 cup (4 oz) reduced fat shredded Cheddar cheese
2 slices of cooked turkey bacon crumbled
1 sliced green onions for garnish (optional)

Wash, scrub gently and prick each potato with a fork all over. Arrange 1 inch apart in the microwave on a paper towel. Microwave on high for 20 mins, turning and rearranging after 10 minutes. Let cool

Peel potatoes and mash with a fork. I like to leave a couple of large pieces. Melt spread in a pot on the medium heat. Add flour and stir until smooth. Slowly stir in 2 cups of milk. Add potatoes, salt, pepper, cheese and remaining milk and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes. Top with a little cheese, bacon and green onions. Enjoy. Q

No comments: