RSS

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Red Velvet Cake recipe







I am always asked for my recipe so I decided to share. I don't use buttermilk in mine. Instead I make my own butter milk with the lemon juice and milk. I use a little more than a cup that most recipes call for in order to keep it moist.
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon of cocoa powder
2 oz red food coloring (2 boxes)
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vinegar

Mix lemon juice and milk in a cup. In another cup mix the food coloring, vanilla, and cocoa powder. Mix it well to get rid of any cocoa clumps. In a large bowl mix vegetable oil and sugar until creamy. In a small bowl sift flour and salt. Add the eggs one at a time to oil and sugar mix. After adding each egg, mix for 30 secs. Gradually add the food coloring and cocoa mix. Next alternate adding the flour and homemade buttermilk mixing for 30 secs after adding. After it is mixed well, take a small cup and add the vinegar and then baking powder. Immediately pour it in the cake mix and fold (do not beat) into mix. Bake in 3 8 or 9 inch cake pans for 30 minutes at 350. I slowly turn my cakes halfway in order to avoid any dry or overcooked spots.

Cream cheese frosting:
I let the ingredients sit at room temp while making the cake because it blends better.
1 8 oz package of cream cheese
1 stick of unsalted butter
16 oz of powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
a pinch of salt
1/2 cup of pecan pieces
Q

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love red velvet cake!!!!! Thanks for the recipe. Tricia

GaPeachinDC said...

OMG, I have been looking for a great red velvet recipe. I think I will make it later this week. I will let u know how it turns out! Thanks! ~ChrissyB

Cheryl said...

I made this cake using your recipe last week and it is the best. Today I am going to make the sour cream pound cake. Thank so much for the recipes!!!